Reflections

Paper 1

This Paper reviews my writing process, what I learned, what I think I could have done better, and answers the question on how the paper showcases my learning during unit one. Reflection;

“This was my first ever writing assignment for college and I was very concerned about how I should write. I thought that I would have to be very formal, use MLA or APA format because of what I was taught in highschool. When the topic of the essay was explained, I felt a wave of relief because this was the first time I had complete creative freedom. Based on the due dates, I knew that I had time to write and get my ideas together, so I procrastinated working on the first draft. This is only something I do when I feel comfortable in the time frame vs my ability to write. While I was procrastinating, I tried to think of how much I could write about for my topic. As the first deadline drew near, I felt the pressure of having to complete the assignment, however I was not able to complete it in the library, I was not able to think freely. When I got home that day I was able to write four pages simply because it was a part of my development. 

A few things I learned throughout the process of writing this paper were, not all essays have to be in an academic format despite what we were taught as we grew up, long paragraphs of information often tends to bore the reader, and self criticism is very important when drafting. Something I could have done better was my time management. Even though I made a schedule, I tend to get lazy and wait until the last minute to complete the essay, despite the fact that I was still able to manage the stress. Throughout the peer review process of the two drafts, i tried to be very critical towards the authors and expected the same. The feedback I received helped me reformat my paragraphs and understand why I should include more background on my current situation.  This paper showcases my learning of how to communicate my original belief and my current belief clearly for the reader. I was able to provide important context through the time periods while leaving out useless information.

Link to paper: This I no longer believe reflection

Paper 2

This Paper reviews my writing process, what I learned, what I think I could have done better, and answers the question on how the paper showcases my learning during unit two. Reflection;

“The rhetorical Landscape essay we had to complete was slightly difficult for me. At first I was unsure what my topic may be. I wanted to make sure it would be something that I can write a lot about. I was also unsure about this assignment because I would not be receiving feedback on where I can improve my writing. I thought of my topic from seeing an advertisement while watching YouTube about the documentary on George Floyd. The story and images I saw about George Floyd during the pandemic resonated with me, and everyone in my highschool was talking about George Floyd and Black Lives Matter, so I believed it would be a good topic. First I had to revisit news articles and news reports from 2020 to understand the point of view we all had during the pandemic. Then I watched the documentary about George Floyd, seeing a different perspective while hearing a different opinion. I was skeptical on the documentary due to the way the creator was presenting herself as a truth bringer. I also debated with my parents about the documentary to get their point of view especially since my father was a police officer in Jamaica.

I felt that I could have done better in many aspects. I did not fully understand how to answer each part of the rubric, so I decided to just type as much as I could and make edits later on to include parts I left out. After receiving feedback, I was able to fully understand how I should have approached parts like my analysis differently. Even though my grade was still good, this was not one of my best essays in my opinion. One specific area that could be improved along with my analysis would be making the connection between the choices made for both movements. I learned that my writing heavily depended on good examples for how to complete the assignment.This paper showcased my learning through my analysis of the uses of rhetoric. These two movements, one in support of the BLM organization and one against it used similar and different rhetorical devices, especially their uses of pathos.”

Link to paper: Rhetorical Analysis Reflection

Paper 3

This Paper reviews my writing process, what I learned, what I think I could have done better, and answers the question on how the paper showcases my learning during unit three. Reflection;

“This final essay seemed very doable at first. When we were read the instructions and rubric, I felt that I would be able to “knock this out” pretty fast. I thought of a topic that I care to learn about and that was Global warming and vehicles. I chose those topics together because I grew up hearing about global warming and the polar bears being endangered. I also am very passionate about cars because they are a large part of my hobbies. Hearing many factors to our current climate change caused me to want research things I overheard or wanted to simply investigate. For this paper, we were given examples and I was able to get inspiration from another persons organization. I decided to put my information together in an outline where I could easily move things around and type out what I want to speak about using subheadings. This method helped me a lot in my writing and organization of information. The feedback I received was very constructive, encouraging me to shorten my introduction, use additional sources and understand how to tie all my information back together in the conclusion. 

Something I could have done better in this essay would be my time management and the sources I used. Similar to previous assignments, I procrastinated this essay because I was lazy and had many exams for other courses I was preparing for. I feel that I did end up leaving some of my earlier points in the essay alone, forgetting to talk more about them. I also learned that an outline is very helpful for inspiring new topics to add into my research. This paper showcased many parts of my learning this semester. We had to properly cite our sources, use credible sources, incorporate different uses of rhetoric and carefully separate our paragraphs. I felt more comfortable doing these parts for this final essay because I understood how to cite using the MLA format.”

Link to paper:Research Paper Reflection